Browse this topic


There are several things you need to keep in mind when importing or exporting money (currency and monetary instruments).

Currency and monetary instruments for export

You must report to the CBSA all Canadian or foreign currency and monetary instruments (CAN$10,000 or more) entering or exiting Canada through the mail.

These monetary instruments include:

  • Securities including:
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
    • Debentures and treasury bills
  • Negotiable instruments including:
    • Bank drafts
    • Cheques
    • Promissory notes
    • Travellers’ cheques and money orders
    • Warehouse receipts or bills of lading
  • Negotiable instruments that bear a restrictive endorsement or stamp for the purpose of clearing
  • Negotiable instruments that you make payable to a named person and you haven't endorsed

Foreign currency and monetary instruments with a value of CAN$10,000 or more mailed out of the country must include a:

  • Form E667 (Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report-General)

You must send a copy of form E667 to the nearest Canada Border Services Agency office either:

  • At the same time as mailing the item
  • Before mailing the item

Visit the CBSA website to access the online CBSA customs form

We’re providing this information as a convenience only. All of this information is subject to change without notice, and we don't guarantee its accuracy or completeness. It's your responsibility to make sure that you are complying with all applicable requirements when you send or receive international mail items.