Any item mailed into Canada is potentially subject to duty and taxes, with few exceptions. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) collects provincial sales taxes (PST) and harmonized sales taxes (HST) according to the province of residence on most taxable imports valued at over CAN$20.
Visit CBSA online if you want to:
- Learn more about mail imports
- Ask questions about the collection of taxes
- Get more information on mail imports, duty, and taxes
We apply a handling fee of CAN$9.95 per dutiable or taxable mail item. This fee is in line with the government’s efforts to help recover costs from those who benefit from services. It's also similar to arrangements in the United States and other countries.
Mail items containing merchandise enter Canada through CBSA screening centres. CBSA officers inspect and assess these items for applicable customs duties and taxes.
If you owe duties and taxes, you can now pay online instead of at the time of delivery when you track your item online or by using the Canada Post mobile app.
When the item is eligible for you to pay online:
- Click the "Pay" button on screen.
- Follow the instructions to complete a secure online payment using a credit card.
- Complete the online payment.
- Wait for an email confirmation that includes a number and barcode.
- Show this number and barcode as proof of payment if our delivery agent asks for it when your package arrives
When you pay your duty and taxes online, and the package doesn’t need a signature, the delivery agent will try to deliver the item to your usual delivery location. The delivery agent will also take into consideration your delivery preference (for example, leave at the front door) if provided.
If you don’t pay online, we collect the fees on behalf of the CBSA at the time of delivery or pick up.
We accept the following methods of payment:
- Online by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express)
The acceptable methods of payment at the time of delivery:
Delivered to customer's address (via PDT) we accept:
- Credit Card
- Commercial Account
- Proof of Payment (from online payment receipt)
Pick up at the Post office we accept:
- Cash (CAD and USD)
- Debit Credit Card
- Money Order
RPOS has the ability to override payment if the customer provides their POP number.