Browse this topic

Canadian requirements for exports overview

The following documentation is required to ensure safe arrival of your shipment in another country. 

Export documentation 

You need an Export Declaration when shipping the following goods to another country (excluding the U.S.): 

  • All goods: 
    • Valued at CAN$2,000 or more (including gifts, donations, and repairs) 
    • That are controlled, prohibited, or regulated (regardless of value) 

The CBSA is no longer accepting Paper Export Declaration Forms (B13A). 

The Export Declaration can now be facilitated through The Canadian Export Reporting System (CERS), a free, web-based, self-service portal for submitting electronic declarations. If you’re currently submitting export declarations using the 'G7 EDI' method and only plan on using this application, there’s no need to use the CERS portal. If you wish to start using the CERS application, you may register by visiting the Electronic Data Interchange / Portal Clients website.

If you’ve never submitted electronic declarations you must register for the new CERS Portal to begin using it. Apply to register by completing and submitting form BSF831.

An Export Declaration isn’t required for goods that are exported for consumption in the U.S. 

For more information visit the CBSA website.

You shouldn’t confuse an Export Declaration B13A with the customs declaration form referred to in Completing customs documents. You must complete a customs declaration form for any mail containing merchandise that’s sent to a destination outside Canada. 

Also, some products may need an export permit such as goods listed on the Export Control List (See also Mailing items abroad).

We’re providing this information as a convenience only. All of this information is subject to change without notice, and we don't guarantee its accuracy or completeness. It's your responsibility to make sure that you are complying with all applicable requirements when you send or receive international mail items.