Manage Returns Guide
Manage Returns is an online tool from Canada Post. You can create policies to manage customer returns, view incoming and past returns, and set up notifications.
If you need more help using the tool or have questions, check out the Manage Returns frequently asked questions.
Log in to your business profile on the Canada Post website. If you don’t have one, you can create a profile. Depending on your account type, you’ll need a parcel services agreement or a credit card to create a return policy.
Choose a topic:
- What is a return policy?
- Create a return policy
- Check inbound returns
- Manage return policies
- Set up notifications
What is a return policy?
A return policy with Canada Post helps you to automate customer returns. Customers will save time and have a smooth return experience on the Canada Post website or at a post office.
Easily set up:
- How and where your customers can get a return shipping label
- What shipping service to use for returns
- Your return address
- and more
Create a return policy
Pick a topic you’d like to read about by expanding it. Or expand all to read everything related to creating a return policy.
Check inbound returns
Returns for the next 5 days
The return forecast shows how many returns you can expect for the next 5 business days. You can also download the information in Excel and in comma-separated values (CSV) format. The numbers provided are estimates based on the latest tracking info available.
Returns received in the past 12 months
The 12-month report helps you see return patterns and trends. The information is available in a monthly, weekly, or daily view. You can also download the information in Excel and CSV format. The numbers provided are estimates based on the latest tracking info available.
Manage return policies
In the “Return policies” tab, you can view and manage your policies on a table. Here, you can open, activate, deactivate, and delete your policies.
From this page you can:
- View policy details: View your policy settings and customer return tips.
- Copy the direct return link: If your policy allows customers to get return labels online, provide this link to your customer so they can access the label in a few steps.
- Edit a policy: Update any policy details.
- Delete a policy: After your policy is deleted, you cannot restore it. Your customers will no longer have access to return labels from this policy. Please note that any return labels already created with this policy number will still be valid and usable.
- Deactivate or activate a policy: When you don’t want customers to access return labels, you can deactivate your policy and activate it when you are ready. Please note that any return labels already created with this policy number will still be valid and usable.
A return policy can be suspended if your payment method is unavailable. For example, if your credit card has expired.
What should I do if my policy is suspended?
- If you have a parcel services agreement with Canada Post, please verify if your account is in good standing by calling Commercial Billing and Payment Support at 1-800-267-7651. Once it’s verified, your policy will no longer be suspended.
- If you use credit cards for return shipping payments, visit “My Profile – Payment – Manage credit cards.” Here, you can ensure your credit card has not expired and has credit available. If not, please update your default credit card. Then, call Commercial Billing and Payment Support at 1-800-267-7651 to remove the suspension.
Tips: Please have your suspended policy ID(s) ready so we can assist you as quickly as possible.
Visit the “Notification settings” tab to set up email notifications for returns. You can add up to 4 email recipients. For each recipient, you can select what events to be notified about, such as received, delivery, or exception. Then, choose whether you want daily summaries or individual updates for each return.
Type of events for the updates:
- Received - The return is dropped off at Canada Post
- Exception - There are events that could affect delivery
- Delivery - The return is complete