Visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Health of Animals Regulations for more information.
Browse this topic
Live small cold-blooded non-poisonous animals
- Expedited Parcel™
- Regular Parcel™
You can only mail live small cold-blooded non-poisonous animal specimens between March 1 and October 31.
Delivery to your destination is required to be achievable in 3 consecutive business days (excluding weekends and statutory holidays) from the time of mailing.
Please note: You can only mail these items domestically, and at your own risk. We don’t offer loss or damage coverage for this type of mail.
Examples of acceptable creatures:
Examples of unacceptable creatures:
- Baby alligators
- Any warm-blooded animals
Live small cold-blooded non-poisonous animal specimens must be:
- Free from disease
- Less than 25 cm (10 inches) in size
- Clearly identified with the notation “LIVE SMALL COLD-BLOODED NON-POISONOUS ANIMAL SPECIMEN”
- Dropped off at a Canada Post facility
Live small cold-blooded non-poisonous animal specimens must not:
- Need food, water, or attention during handling in the mail.
- Emit obnoxious odours.
- Be shipped to remote locations in Canada. For a list of remote locations, see our air stage offices list.